Wednesday 7 April 2010

The Tufty club

I still have more than half of Pela's fleece waiting to be processed. I found that (in my short and very limmited experience) getting a perfect ball of wool requires a considerable ammount of time and effort in the fleece prep. department so I spent a couple of hours flick carding some of the fleece one small tuft at a time.


The easy part is now feeding this through the drum carder to produce batts. This mixes the sun bleached tips throughout the fibre and should prevent the uneven pattern seen in my crocheted scarf. I just have to spin it now. The resulting ball of wool will have taken about five hours to make!

Pixie loves alpaca fleece, she stole two of my early balls of wool, tangled them up and hid the evidence under the bed.


For some light relief, I rustled up another felted scarf (you have to keep up the practice) in blue merino with black and green alpaca.(no we don't have green alpacas, it was just a failed attempt at dyeing)


3 comments:

  1. Those batts look gorgeous and I love Pela's colouring, just beautiful. How much fibre do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. About 3/4 untouched from Pela, Minnie all went on experimental stuff - all part of the learning process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is all looking very professional...although I see that your blog was posted at 03.36 I hope you are not staying up late perfecting your talents ;0))

    ReplyDelete